Monday, June 30, 2014

Philippians 1:27-30

Pastor Jim started his sermon by saying that the Philippian church was a lot like us: selfish, having to deal with the world's expectations (which are different than God's expectations), and

Expecting the day to go without problems.

That really struck me hard.  I expect each day to go without problems.  And of course, when it doesn't, I get so flustered, aggravated and mad. That's when I lose my cool and start to yell.  Or eat poorly.  Or give up and don't exercise.

We are supposed to conduct ourselves as Citizens of Heaven.  What does that mean?  Well, citizenship in Heaven is by gift only.  There is no way to become a citizen of Heaven on your own.  You must accept that God is the only way to be welcomed there.  And He paid a pretty stinkin high price for me to gain entry.

I'm not always properly grateful.  But when I think about it, I should be HUMBLED by what was done for me.  By what should have been done TO me.  So a Citizen of Heaven is humble.

A Citizen of Heaven is also someone who knows they can't conduct themselves properly on their own, and that's ok because God has promised us
LOVE
JOY
PEACE
PATIENCE
KINDNESS
GOODNESS
FAITHFULNESS
GENTLENESS
and
SELF CONTROL.

It's like a wishlist of characteristics and they're all gifts to us!  Even though my days will not be perfect (and in fact, Paul talks about how it is a gift for us to suffer like Christ... which, I always thought, meant dying, but it could be as mild as being aggravated by the circumstances you're in, or being frustrated by your child's selfish heart again and again...) even though they're not going to be perfect, I can ask for God to help me conduct myself with Grace.

And he will provide that Grace.  In abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment