Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why I should ALWAYS get dressed when my feet hit the floor...

"Superboy's hair is looking a little shaggy..."

Ah the little comments that change our days...  A Thursday, in fact.  A Thursday when I didn't have to babysit the princesses.  A beautiful Thursday with no agenda (besides Little Miss's six month pediatrician visit, but that wasn't until 10:30!), where we could sit around in our pajamas and play games on the iphone and Nook without feeling bad...

Normally I'm very strict about sticking to my morning routine.  It keeps both Angie and Superboy in line...

But not this Thursday.

Which is why, of course, when Superboy woke up, cow-licked hair going everywhere, that I remembered what his Dad said the night before and decided to get the clippers out.  Before breakfast.  Before we were dressed.  Before Little Miss woke up and wanted a diaper change.

Now, let me explain something.  I've been waiting MONTHS for Superboy's hair to get long.  We have a great picture from summer before last of Superboy with shaggy hair, playing on the slide in the yard, and it's fantastic.  Then I put him in preschool for half a year and I freaked out about the possibility of headlice and buzzed his head.  (I worked at the same preschool, and I NEVER wore my hair down!  I'm just not willing to risk it...)

So of course, first slide of the clippers and I FREAKED OUT that I cut it too short.  This is what happens when I let Angie choose the order of our day. 

So now I've got a poor kid who's getting a complex about his hair because his mother is screaming that she messed it up, hair all over the living room floor, and thankfully, a still sleeping baby.

(I swear, Superboy will never let his wife cut his hair.  I guarentee that he will always budget for professional haircuts just because his mom was a wack job.)

I did manage to fix the hair cut.  And although it was shorter than I wanted, it doesn't look too bad.  Then I got two kids bathed, started the laundry, and jumped in the shower (that was the wrong order... that shower DEFINITELY woke me up!).  We vacuumed up the hair (Superboy has recently discovered the wonder of using the vacuum hose!  The area under my dining table is clean for the first time in four years!), and I made breakfast.  Then realized we'd have to eat it on the run, because did I mention we had a pediatrician appointment at 10:30?  Yeah, that kind of snuck up on us...

The whole incident reminded me of when I actually WAS little Angie and I took a pair of scissors and cut the hair on my aunt's favorite doll.  At four I didn't realize doll hair doesn't grow back...  My aunt was NOT pleased.

Good to know I've learned something in 26 years...

A good idea for scissors:

CUTTING SNOWFLAKES

Now I just recently learned how to cut paper snowflakes so they actually have 6 points!  I will do my best to explain it below, but you could also have the kids just fold the paper any old way.  Just watch them carefully so they don't:

1) cut anything other than paper (like each other, their clothes, their hair.  Although they might do a better job than mom!)

2) cut the paper into confetti-sized bits that will blanket your floor under the table

3) wave the scissors around like swords and result in something from number 1

How to fold the paper:

1. fold one corner down to touch the opposite straight edge.  Crease and cut off the bottom strip so if you unfolded it you'd have a square.

2. Keep it folded like a right triangle.  Fold the triangle in half equally.

3. Now it gets complicated.  Hold the triangle so it looks like the roof of a house.  Now you're gonna fold it into thirds.  Pinch that top point and fold each side over towards the middle.  They should overlap.  It will look a bit like an arrow when you're done.

4. Flip it over and cut off the bottom points of the arrow.  Now you're ready to cut out little snippets to make a snowflake!

Or if you aren't because you can't follow my directions, Google "How to cut a snowflake" and find someone who has pictures.  That's what I did.

When you're done, tell the kids to pretend they're vacuum cleaners and see how much they can pick up off the floor.  And make the noise.  That part is VERY important to get them thinking this is a game and not clean up.  :)

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... (But only for that one day...)

No comments:

Post a Comment